Overview of Key Features
Baygon insecticide is manufactured by Johnson Wax Nigeria ltd, with factory located at Isolo Industrial Estate, Lagos State. Baygon insecticide comes in various brands. However, the most common brands in Nigeria is the 300ml and 500ml. Active ingredients of Baygon insecticide are contains Imiprothrin, cyfluthrin, and prallethrin.
- Like its fellow product (Raid Multipurpose insect killer), Baygon insecticide scores slightly higher than some other brands of insecticides in the market.
- Baygon insecticide comes in 300ml and 500ml varieties to suit your pocket.
- Baygon insecticide is available in most stores and supermarkets in Nigeria
- Baygon insecticide has a strong offensive smell
- Like in all aerosols, the use of highly flammable ingredients like propellants in Baygon insecticide increases risk of domestic fire, if carelessly handled.
- All the active ingredients in Baygon insecticide – Imiprothrin, cyfluthrin, and prallethrin – have been shown to have adverse effects directly on human health, though in rare measures. They are however highly toxic to cats and aquatic lives. So for cat owners, you may need to be very careful when using your insecticides with your cat around.
- Imiprothrin irritates the skin and eyes. Excessive exposure to cyfluthrin can cause nausea, headache, muscle weakness, salivation, shortness of breath and seizures.
General Cautionary Tips
- As much as possible, the use of insecticides should be as few and far between as possible. It is better to apply other preventive measures that will keep both flying and crawling insects away from your home.
- The use of insecticides should not be the primary means of protecting yourself an family against malaria. Other harm-free measures like the use of mosquito nets, making sure all exit doors and windows are properly shut, especially when the sun begins to set and keeping your home free from mosquito breeders like stagnant water and refuse should form your primary strategy. Insecticides can come sparingly, when for instance, you mistakenly leave the door or windows open.
- Please always read the instruction on the container. They usually contain useful information and warnings.