Gelatin is a colourless, tasteless rubber-like solid substance. It is commonly used as a gelling agent in food, pharmaceutical drugs, vitamin capsules, photography, and cosmetic manufacturing. Many people aren’t conscious of its existence as a gelling agent in several of the food products they buy off the shelves in grocery stores. And for those that do, it’s often misunderstood as sugar-loaded and associated with unhealthy food.
Gelatin is a highly nutritious food, recently classified as a superfood and usually gotten from animal bones, skins, cartilage, and tissues, in powder form. Gelatin is usually used in the preparation of Gummy bears/candies, jams, marshmallows, ice cream, desserts and lots more contain Gelatin.
Below is are some of the benefits this agent is loaded with.
- Gelatin contains as much as 18 amino acids and brimming with substantial health benefits, it’s no wonder that gelatin is classified as a collagen protein. These are the building blocks of proteins; essential not only for rejuvenating healthy cells for your skin and hair and promoting nail growth but for optimal immune function, healthy mood, weight maintenance, and appropriate muscle synthesis.
- Gelatin is highest in essential amino acids glycine and proline. Glycine promotes the healthy functioning of your liver by working to eliminate toxins from your bloodstream. But that’s not all Glycine does.
- Gelatin also strengthens the gut lining which primarily facilitates the balance of digestive enzymes, plus it lowers inflammation and prevents gut damage.
- Glycine acts just like an anti-anxiety or antidepressant drug but without side-effects. This means as you ingest gelatin, more happy hormones are triggered; you feel less stressed, and your mental clarity enjoys a good boost. It is considered an “inhibitory neurotransmitter.”
- Another benefit is that gelatin is capable of absorbing water and fluids. This helps effectively to prevent fluid retention and bloated stomach which of course limits constipation and improves your digestive system.
- It helps forms strong connective tissue to give parts of the body the required elasticity, and due to the high amounts of protein in gelatin, degeneration of collagen which occurs naturally with aging is prevented.
- Consuming gelatin regularly can also drastically reduce arthritis-related stiffness and pain in joints.
- Finding it difficult to sleep, dissatisfied with your sleeping pattern or having difficulties with your daytime cognitive functions? Add some gelatin powder to your smoothies, and you’ll be amazed at how well you sleep at night.
- Acts as an anti-aging and anti-wrinkles agent on the skin. Consuming gelatin is a smart skincare therapy to try. You’re protected from free radical damage and potential skin cancer plus you get the youthful healthy skin to enhance your appearance.
- And for the weight-watchers, do you know that you can make gelatine a helpful weight loss tool? With its high protein content, adding gelatin to your diet helps increase satiety and control hunger hormones significantly.
- Gelatin can easily be added to practically any smoothie because it’s got no flavour.
This article was originally published in Feminine Lounge